Muslim women have a strong history of successful leadership in a variety of professions in the public and private sphere. In light of this tradition, this directory offers Muslim women around the world an opportunity to search through a listing of jobs, internships and fellowship opportunities from around the world. The directory also connects employers with a diverse pool of potential hires. WISE does not evaluate the merits of any position listed in the directory. Please use personal discretion. Any and all language in job postings does not necessarily represent the ideas or values of WISE.
- By Region
- Central America/South America
- Middle East/North Africa
- North America
- Southeast Asia/Pacific/Australia
Employer: Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit
Closing Date For Applications:
The Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU) is an independent research institute based in Kabul. AREU’s mission is to inform and influence policy and practice through conducting high-quality, policy-relevant research and actively disseminating the results, and to promote a culture of research and learning. To achieve its mission AREU engages with policymakers, civil society, researchers and students to promote their use of AREU’s research and its library, to strengthen their research capacity, and to create opportunities for analysis, reflection and debate.
AREU was established in 2002 by the assistance community working in Afghanistan and has a board of directors with representation from donors, the United Nations and other multilateral agencies, and non-governmental organisations. AREU currently receives core funds from the governments of Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Specific projects have been funded by the Foundation of the Open Society Institute Afghanistan (FOSIA), the Asia Foundation (TAF), the European Commission (EC) and the International Development Research Center (IDRC).
• The editor’s primary responsibility is to edit, design and produce AREU research publications, reports and other organisational products in English. The editor spends approximately 75 percent of his/her time on these tasks.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Coordinating with freelance editors and peer reviewers
• Writing and producing communications materials associated with AREU research products, including backgrounders, publication announcements, news releases, web updates, and media products
• Supporting communications initiatives associated with research projects, including dissemination workshops, seminars and conferences, and the AREU lecture series
• Supporting and participating in advocacy, outreach and representation by developing a high degree of knowledge about AREU strategic directions and programmes.
• Excellent English writing and editing skills and strong design and layout capabilities, including experience preparing complex documents to pre-press and for web publication
• Relevant academic qualifications (preferably a Masters degree)
• Four to five years of relevant experience editing, designing and producing publications and other organisational materials
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and layout/design software (particularly the Adobe Design Suite)
• Strong problem-solving skills and ability to digest, analyse and synthesise information
• Excellent interpersonal, cross-cultural and representational skills
• Knowledge of Afghanistan and development contexts would be an advantage.