WISE Conference 2009
“Muslim Women: Building Institutions, Creating Change”
Building upon the excitement generated by the 2006 WISE conference and launch, WISE held its second international conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from July 16 – 19, 2009. Over 200 women from across the world participated in the conference entitled “Muslim Women: Building Institutions, Creating Change.”
The conference was structured around the five WISE modules for creating change: Change through Communication, Change through Interpretation, Change through Philanthropy, Change through Collaboration and Change through Action. The conference facilitated several types of information-exchange for participants, including the sharing of best practices; panel discussions and presentations on the most relevant issues facing Muslim women today; skill-building trainings in such areas as media engagement, running for political office, spiritual development, transformative leadership, cultural consciousness and social movement-building.
In addition, the conference showcased a number of groundbreaking WISE initiatives including the presentation of the WISE Compact and endorsement by the conference participants; launch of the WISE web portal; introduction of the global Shura Council and its “Jihad against Violence” project; presentation of funding opportunities with the Muslim Women’s Fund; peer learning “Chair.Chai.Chats,” which enabled participants to directly engage with high-level Muslim women.
Download Conference Materials:
- 2009 WISE Conference Report
- Conference Press releases
- Conference Program
Conference case study abstracts and PowerPoint presentations:
- The Yemen Times Early Marriage Campaign: the Story of Nujood - abstract; article; and powerpoint
- Beliefnet: New Media & New Understanding of Muslim Dress Code - abstract and powerpoint
- Achieving Prosperity & Dignity: From Economic Empowerment to Social Movement - abstract and powerpoint
- Leveraging Corporate Social Responsibility for Women’s Progress - abstract and powerpoint
- The Pakistani Marriage Contract: Filling in the Salient Clauses & Teaching Girls their Rights - abstract and powerpoint
- Advancing Gender Equality in Muslim Mindanao: Training & Promoting Gender-Sensitive Religious Leaders to Affect Change - abstract and powerpoint
Links to articles covering the conference
- Elass, Rasha (2009, July 17). Guiding light for gender progress. The National.
- Elass, Rasha (2009, July 18). Muslim women call for change. The National.
- Elass, Rasha (2009, July 18). Conference targets end to violence. The National.
- (2009, July 20). Kuala Lumpur Conference Speaks Out Against Domestic Violence in Islam Wilson Center Expert Sources.
- Elass, Rasha (2009, July 20). Conference told of plan for female muftis. The National.
- Fatany, Samar (2009, July 29). Women’s meet offers WISE advice. Arab News.
WISE videos shown at conference
- Conference photos