“Invest in women and you invest in the family, community and society. Women know. We have to trust them. Our job is to respond, encourage and support their efforts. Women have a unique perspective on how to make a difference in their communities. This fund is driven by their ideas, their determination and their know-how.”
— Ms. Hibaaq Osman, founder of Karama and The Arab Women’s Fund
The Arab Women’s Fund advocates for women’s rights from within the Arab World, supports women’s agendas for social change and justice, raising women’s visibility in the press, politics, and culture, and promoting women’s priorities and concerns in local, regional, and global arenas.
The Fund’s Mandate:
• To provide support and funding for women’s organizations that work toward women’s rights.
• To make grants to organizations and individuals in a dignified and respectful way.
• To distribute at least 75% of allocations to programs specifically for women and girls.
• To maintain a majority of women on its board of directors.
• To invite investments from women, men, businesses, foundations, and, when appropriate, governments.
• To work cooperatively with grantees, donors, colleagues in the funding community, peers in the women’s rights community, colleagues working for social justice in various fields, academic researchers, and others.